In California, they take DUI laws very seriously. A first offense is bad enough and can put you through some serious legal ramifications. A second offense is even worse and negative effects of a second DUI will continue long after you have paid your dues to the court and society.
Being charged with a second DUI does not make you automatically guilty – the police do make mistakes, and sobriety tests can be inaccurate. You are entitled to all the rights afforded by the legal system, and by contacting a DUI attorney Los Angeles residents rely on, you can avail yourself of those rights. The legal system has many rules and can be stressful and confusing. Qualified legal counsel goes a long way in making your journey through that system less stressful, and a Los Angeles DUI attorney can make the process less stressful.
California has one of the strictest DUI laws in the nation. While each case is unique, a second DUI conviction normally entails stiff penalties. Offenders can expect the following repercussions:
- Jail term between 96 hours and 1 year
- Fines up to $2,800. This does not include court and attorney fees. Some courts, however, may allow offenders to pay off a portion of the fine through community service
- DUI School and Alcohol Education – You can also expect an 18 month mandatory DUI and alcohol education program, which you will have to pay for
- Probation for a second DUI can last 3 – 5 years during which there is a zero tolerance BAC
- License suspension up to two years with eligibility for a restricted license after one year
- An interlock Ignition Device, which requires a breath test every time you use your car.
There are also consequences beyond what the court imposes. A second DUI offense will certainly show up in criminal background checks and disqualify you from some forms of employment. You can also lose your job or at the very least be forced to take an extended period of leave due to court appearances. Drivers with a history of DUI can also expect major increases in their insurance premiums.
It is important to realize that an arrest and charge does not automatically make you guilty. While there are no guarantees, a Los Angeles DUI lawyer can carefully examine your case and look for even the slightest misstep in the prosecution’s case that can cast enough doubt for an acquittal or dismissal. For a DUI lawyer Los Angeles residents can depend on, Jonathan Franklin at the Law Offices of Jonathan Franklin will supply a vigorous legal defense which examines all these factors.
An attorney can also bring forth eye witness testimonies and accident reconstruction experts as well as question the ones brought forward by the prosecutor. Defense lawyers may also look for any procedural violations on the part of the arresting officer, such as improper administration of the field sobriety test.
Being arrested for any reason is stressful; a 2nd DUI can have serious ramifications for years. However, a Los Angeles DUI attorney will help guide you through the legal process and try to get your life back to normal as quickly as possible.